Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 1996 18:00:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        nate@sri.MT.net, paul@netcraft.co.uk, freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sup/cvs tags

> > > I agree. The  FreeBSD cvs tree isn't for personal development and I'm
> > > a bit miffed that Garret has been allowed to get away with putting in
> > > a personal tag.
> >
> > I disagree.  I think we don't use the full capabilities of CVS, and just
> > because it might be painful for folks on slow links (and *NO* one has a
>
> Maybe the right thing to do would be to make a branch for all core-members
> (and other significant developers) once and for all...

What's needed is the ability to locally branch so that you can
continue to recieve changes on the main source branch and still use
local version control.

This means that people like me can run under local source control with
multiple seperately committable projects and still end up with combined
sources for our own local builds.

The problem here is the transport mechanism would need to be able to
be flagged to list the branches to be transported.

Neither SUP nor CTM are up to this job.

Specifically, Garrett adding his tag would not affect you because
unless you asked for his tagged branch, you'd only get the common
source base in any case.

THis would allow using the CVS tree for multiple combined projects
that don't impact non-participants.

If you aren't willing to fix the CVS, then you need to do what I do:
lump it.

I currently keep a difficult-to-maintain environment and my patches
are submitted in difficult-to-piece-out form because I can't maintain
local seperate and combined trees based on branch tags and branch
merge on checkout.

If you get large updates when a necessary tag goes in, live with it
or fix CVS so you don't have to suffer as a result.

But don't try and say "the tag should not go in because it is not
convenient".  Life is inconvenient.  Deal with it.

As to the idea of creating a branch for each core member and other
significant developers, it doesn't deal with:

1)	people without commit priviledges
2)	developers with commit priveledges with multiple irons in
	the fire.

I don't think the idea will result what you obviously intend: taking
a large hit once to avoid taking future hits.

Garrett's tag is not "garrett"... it is descriptive of the subproject.

You could not reliably predict the names of all future subprojects
and precreate them to save taking the hits.  Say "oh well".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.