Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 00:14:49 +0400
From:      "Mikhail A. Sokolov" <mishania@demos.su>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump/restore broken?

On Tue, May 05, 1998 at 01:00:25PM -0700, Tom wrote:
# On Tue, 5 May 1998, Karl Pielorz wrote:
# > Tom wrote:
# > >   Posted Apr 16 to freebsd-stable.  The only response that I received was
# > > from someone that said, "thats just like the PR that I sent a long time
# > > ago".

That was me. As I said in the PR, it applies to all, 2.1xx/2.2xx/3.0-current
branches (since nobody touches dump/restore?).

# > I think you need to be a bit more specific... So, your saying that if I run
# > a dump - and then later go to restore it, or check what's on a previously
# > 'dumped' tape by running:
# >
# > restore t
#
#   That is exactly what I'm saying.  You should look at bin/4683.  I didn't
# don't think I'm backing up any sparse file on my filesystem (just user
# data).

I not only believe, I know it (see the difference between the two words ;)).
Since tar -[blah]S[blah] worked splendid on the filesystem we were playing
then, like, several hundreds of files, each having had thousands of hardlinks.

# > on a 't' - and only once on a restore (but that as I've already said) was
# > due to bad termination...
#
#   That shouldn't happen.  Do you have parity turned on both the controller
# and the tape drive?

That couldn't be the case, since, say, I didn't use tapes then. Simple sd's.

# > Karl Pielorz
#
# Tom

--