Date:      Fri, 04 Jul 1997 19:06:07 +0200
From:      Kent Boortz <kent@erlang.ericsson.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        kent@erlang.ericsson.se
Subject:   Application compatibility andshared libraries?

I know some just link "libc.2.2" to "libc.3.0" to get applications
working that is for different versions of FreeBSD but how do I create
applications that survive all 2.X versions or at least all 2.2.X
versions?

A reasonable rule would be that

    - If changing the third version number applications with
      shared libraries will still work.

    - If changing the second number static linking will still work.

    - If changing the first number we may have to recompile the
      whole thing.

Is there an official rule similar to this in FreeBSD?

If the application in question was distributed with full source
this wouldn't be a big problem but unfortunately it isn't.

/kgb