Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2006 13:07:31 +0400
From:      Dmitriy Kirhlarov <dimma@higis.ru>
To:        freebsd-cluster@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CARP and spontaneous switching between MASTER - BACKUP

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 01:51:06AM -0700, dmitry surovtsev wrote:

> Did anybody face the problem with spontaneous switching between
> MASTER - BACKUP carp machines?

It can be result of drop packet for example.
You use very frequently advbase.

> The configuration is:

My good worked config:
on master:
inet ${carp_ip} vhid 1 pass password netmask 0xffff0000 advbase 2 advskew 240

on slave:
inet ${carp_ip} vhid 1 pass carptest netmask 0xffff0000 advbase 3 advskew 250

I use 6_Stable from end of summer.

> After some time however I got an error from Squirrelmail:
> "You need to authorized to have an acces to your mail", then Squirrelmail
> proposes me to enter login and password again, second time.

It look like, you start work with second node.

> I do that and then have an access to mailbox, BUT on the second, BACKUP, server.
> ifconfig shows that first computer is still in MASTER mode,
> and the second is still in BACKUP mode.
>
> What may be the problem?

switch on net.inet.carp.log on both machines and look log.

WBR
--
Dmitriy Kirhlarov
OILspace, 26 Leninskaya sloboda, bld. 2, 2nd floor, 115280 Moscow, Russia