Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 11:59:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Andy McConnell <andym@ntt.net>
To:        Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: /etc/printcap doesn't work as advertised - Can't remove bane

Ah.. Maybe you have hit on something.

The remote printer is an HP with a JetDirect lpd server.

Let me know if I've got the theory right:  the sh in the local printcap
simply sets a flag that gets propogated to the remote lpd, correct?

What option does lpr -h send?  What option can I put in the printcap to
emulate the -h command line option then?

-andy

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Patrick Gardella wrote:

>Perhaps the remote printer doesn't have the :sh: capability?
>
>My remote printcap entry does not have it, but at the remote side, it does.
>
>Patrick
>
>On 24-Nov-98 Andy McConnell wrote:
>> OK....
>>
>> Tried that(:sh:\ on its own line), killed the lpd process, and restarted
>> it (by hand). Still no success.
>>
>> Could it be something related to the remote printer?  I didn't think so,
>> because lpr -h works successfully.  Any more ideas?
>>
>> -Andy

>>>Try it as:
>>> lp|printer:\
>>>         :sh::rm=printer.noc.cup.ndp.net:\
>>>         :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
>>>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
>>>
>>>or
>>> lp|printer:\
>>>         :sh:\
>>>         :rm=printer.noc.cup.ndp.net:\
>>>         :sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:\
>>>         :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
>>>

>>>Patrick
>>>
>>>---
>>>Patrick S. Gardella                    Director of Web Development
>>>The Creative Group    1-800-804-0783 ext 29     606-858-8029 (fax)
>>>http://www.cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9
>>>

>> --
>> Andy McConnell      真向練 安堵龍
>> NTT America IP Headquarters
>>
>> Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.
>
>---
>Patrick S. Gardella                    Director of Web Development
>The Creative Group    1-800-804-0783 ext 29     606-858-8029 (fax)
>http://www..cre8tivegroup.com                 PGP Key ID 0xEE2D47A9

--
Andy McConnell      真向練 安堵龍
NTT America IP Headquarters

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian
because I hate plants.
                               -- A. Whitney Brown