Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 14:10:01 -0500
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        <kchudy@pcom.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Floppy Drives

}-----Original Message-----
}From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Kevin Chudy
}Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2000 1:23 PM
}To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
}Subject: Floppy Drives
}
}I am new to FreeBSD.
}
}I have successfully installed version 3.4.
}
}After looking in the FreeBSD handbook and other sources I
}have a basic
}question:
}
}My floppy drive is detected by FreeBSD. How do you access
}the floppy drive
}(or hard drives other than the boot drive for that matter) in FreeBSD
}(Unix)? If I wanted to access the floppy drive in  an MS-DOS
}based platform,
}I would enter a:.
}
}Thank you,
}Kevin
}
Kevin,
Congratulations on the new installation and welcome to our little club
(how many thousands of users are we up to now?)
before we can teach you the secret handshake, you must learn to search
for your answers before asking. when folks know that you try to answer
the question yourself first before asking others, you'll get a much
warmer response when you have a SERIOUS problem. since you have found
(or are hoping)the mailing list to be useful resource, then you should
learn to search the mailing list archives, found at:
you already know that you could find this by following links if you
start at http://www.freebsd.org. Anything can be found if you just
start there. To answer your question, I searched this list
(-questions) and came up with this link:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=2159997+2161711+/usr/local
/www/db/text/1999/freebsd-questions/19990926.freebsd-questions
dos-formatted disks are mounted the same way as fat32-formatted disks:
"mount_msdos" or "mount -t msdos"

-Otter
p.s. get that hair sticking up in the back and you can later apply for
president of the he-man woman haters club. uh oh, i think i just dated
myself!