Date:      Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:42:42 +0200
From:      David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Status of ${HAVE_GNOME:xxx} and dependencies

Hello there,

There is something I don't understand well. I installed eclipse a long
time ago because I needed it for a java project. As you may know eclipse
use a lot of gnome dependencies and I usually install ports that don't
require them.

Now I deinstalled eclipse, and I realized that these libs such as
gconf2, libgnome, libgnomeui are needed by a lot of application that had
never required them before ! see :

Information for gconf2-2.32.0_2:

Required by:
gnome-vfs-2.24.4
libcanberra-0.26
libgnome-2.32.0
libbonoboui-2.24.4
libgnome-keyring-2.32.0
libsoup-gnome-2.32.2
gnome-keyring-2.32.1
policykit-gnome-0.9.2_5
gnome-mount-0.8_7
gvfs-1.6.6_1
libgnomeui-2.24.4
firefox-4.0.1,1
gimp-app-2.6.11_2,1
gimp-2.6.11,2
thunderbird-3.1.10
inkscape-0.48.1_1
wxgtk2-common-2.8.12
wxgtk2-unicode-2.8.12
audacity-devel-1.3.13_1
libpurple-2.8.0
pidgin-2.8.0
pidgin-pidgimpd-1.1.1_5

I can see for example in the graphics/gimp-app/Makefile :

.if defined(WITH_GVFS) || ${HAVE_GNOME:Mgvfs}!=""

LIB_DEPENDS+=   gnome-keyring.0:${PORTSDIR}/security/gnome-keyring
USE_GNOME+=     gvfs
.  if ${HAVE_GNOME:Mlibgnomeui}!=""
USE_GNOME+=     libgnomeui
.  endif
.endif

Then, if I disable the option WITH_GVFS (which is already done) but I
have gnome-vfs installed it will pull the gnome-vfs dependency when I'll
rebuild the port? I think this is what happened. I have probably rebuild
this port and that's why it requires the new dependency.

The user hasn't the power on this option if the gnome-vfs is installed then?

Cheers.

--
David Demelier