Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 18:48:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>, guido@gvr.gvr.org (guido), freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: card removal problems

> > An update: I tried to remove 2 modem cards for a couple of times.
> > The Nokia one (irq3) did lock up my system each time (I tried 3 times).
> > The other one (angia) went ok for 2 times. Note that in the lockup
> > case, nothing is printed on the console.
>
> If you feel like patching things, try putting a test in the sio
> driver's interrupt handler that checks the 'gone' flag, and puke if it
> gets an interrupt when the card is 'gone'.

This is similar to the (off-line) advice I gave him.

> It should also perform some
> basic sanity checks on the data it's getting; the sio interrupt is
> handled by a fast interrupt handler which will preclude (AFAIK) any
> other interrupt handler from running.

Actually, no.  We don't register any card interrupts as 'fast', which
could also be some cause for concern.  (Bruce has mentioned it in the
past, but things seem to work, so I haven't made any changes.)

> If the modem generates an interrupt as it goes, it's possible that
> it's spinning forever in the handler.

That's my suspicion as well, but there are some sanity checks in there.
As I pointed out in private email, we may be missing one or doing it in
the wrong order, opening up a race condition.

Nate