Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 01:07:38 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        anders@sanyusan.se
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (forw) Re: ndc(8)

> > 'stats     Causes named to dump its statistics to /etc/namedb/named.stats'
> >
> > This also applies for /var/tmp/named_dump.db, that one goes also in
> > /etc/namedb.
>
> Guys, before we fix the manpage on this, could someone please follow
> this up with -hackers?  I was under the impression (but could be wrong)
> that programs weren't meant to do this sort of thing in /etc (or
> subdirectories of /etc) and that /var/ is the best place for them.

named originally dumped to /tmp, as far as I can remember. This was changed
(due to the usual problems with symlink races etc in /tmp) to use the same
directory as the named working directory, ie. the "directory" line in the
named config. Note that it was the BIND developers who changed this.

Personally, I don't really like to have named data under /etc, since named
data changes (at least on a busy name server) and (IMHO) /etc should not.