Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2000 18:33:50 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        James <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID/config questions

At 04:56 PM 3/7/2000 -0600, James wrote:
>I'm definitely interested in performance and reliability and willing to pay
>more.  This is for a server and not a workstation.

I found the Mylex cards to be a little more hassle free on FreeBSD (on
current  anyways).  I have only tried the MegaRAID 428 (which worked) and
the Perc2/SC which didnt work under FreeBSD, but kind of worked on
Linux.  However, judging from the BIOS release notes for the card, it
*might* have some issues with modern motherboards.   But thats the extent
of my limited testing.  As for performance between the two, the differences
seemed negligible. The main thing I am after is reliability.

>I guess if I'm interested in a setup where I have 3 drives, with approximately
>2/3 of the total space available, that is RAID0+1?  I haven't worked with RAID
>before and I'd prefer my first experience to be as painless as possible.  Are
>there any RAID controllers/drives specifically tuned for each other?

Generally yes.  You should consult the vendor's card to see what it has
been tested with.  However, I have found most modern drives not to be an
issue (at least as far as I can tell).

>I'm hoping to get some feedback on what RAID systems users on this list may
>recommend - and a good source for the products.  Thanks very much!

If you are just starting out and want to experiment, I would say pick up
yourself a used DAC960 mylex card off of ebay for $100 bucks or so, and get
a couple of drives you can destroy off onsale.com. I got 5 1gig segates for
$20 each at one point and did my testing/experimenting that way.

But search through the mailing list archives.  There are lots of good
discussions from the past on this topic.

         ---Mike