Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:07:04 -0500
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:    Re: Getting DSL for FreeBSD?

> Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 07:34:13 -0400
> From: John Turner <john@drexeltech.com>
> Subject: Re: Getting DSL for FreeBSD?
>
> At 10:17 PM 8/7/2000 -0500, David J. Kanter wrote:
>
> >I'm thinking of getting a DSL but am a bit confused on what to ask the
> >companies to ensure that the line will work with FreeBSD. I assume that even
> >if they don't advertise it to work with FreeBSD, in some cases it probably
> >does.
>
> DSL works with any OS.  The output of any DSL modem/router/bridge is a
> standard RJ-45 Ethernet jack (at least, it should be this way in the
> USA).  This will plug into any network card.

This isn't exactly true. There are a number of PCI DSL modem cards.
Cisco used to make the 605, they sold that off to Intel, who fixed it
up and now make the 2100. I've also seen a few computer adds (Gateway?)
that is selling a card.

The 605 and the 2100 will not work with anything except Windows at this
time. Cisco released no info on this card for porting. I don't know about
the intel.

The important thing to do is get the external DSL modem.

I believe I've also heard of some that hook up to USB. Whether those
work, I don't know.

> Non-windows users who want DSL merely need:
>
> 1) a working network card
> 2) the ability to change the IP address bound to that network card

Right.

> >If a company doesn't explicitly advertise "works with UNIX" (Telocity is the
> >only one I've seen that does this), what questions can I ask that will
> >convince me that it does?
>
> It works.  Period.  There are no DSL drivers or anything like that.  It's a
> standard ethernet connection.  If you have only one machine, you plug into
> the DSL router/bridge/modem using the cable they supply, change the
> IP/netmask/gateway/DNS on your FreeBSD machine, and away you go.  If you
> have a LAN, you'll need two NICs in your FreeBSD box, one setup with a
> private IP and using ipfw/natd or similar.  Search the archives for more
> information/how-to.

Well, this depends on how the service is provisioned. Some providers
do PPPoE effectively bridging over the modem. We at Qwest (formerly USWEST),
do NAT on the modem with the modem getting a DHCP address on it's WAN
link and providing a DHCP server to the ethernet behind.

> >Do I just have to be sure that the NIC card they want to install has a
> >driver that can be added to the kernel config? Also, I've read that the
> >local telco (Ameritech) "will only work with Windows" and uses an ATM NIC.
> >Is that bad?
>
> I would get your own NIC.  Several months back, when I switched from ISDN
> to DSL, I purchased 10/100 SMC ethernet cards from CompUSA for $12 each
> (and there was a 5-foot CAT5 cable in each box).  Worked perfectly in my
> FreeBSD box that I'm using as a gateway.

That's pretty good. Our offering, I believe, still includes a 3Com 10/100
card with the external Cisco 675 and the Motorola Vanguard 65 IDSL modem
(that what I'm supporting, FreeBSD works great!)

> For what it's worth, I live in Michigan, and Ameritech is the local Baby
> Bell here as well.  They have almost nothing to do with DSL other than
> providing the copper pair that is your physical connection (the same type
> of connection as an ISDN line or a POTS line...DSL just connects to a
> different point back at the telco switch).

ADSL works in conjunction with your POTS line. Your voice call uses low
frequencies and ADSL uses high. That's why you can do both at the same
time.

ISDN uses completely different service. IDSL is DSL over ISDN, but you
get no voice line.

> >And I guess I could throw this in: And DSL company recommendations?
>
> I've personally dealt with four in the Detroit Metro area.  I would avoid
> Flashcom.  I personally use Concentric, and have found them to be the most
> reliable and the most "bang for the buck": ADSL 1.0Mbps/384Kbps, 4 legal
> IPs (bridged) for $89/month, servers are no problem.  Others I've dealt
> with are Rhythms and Ameritech.  The Ameritech DSL is OK on bandwidth, but
> very spotty on reliability.  If I wasn't on Concentric, I would probably be
> on Rhythms.  Your mileage may vary.

> As others have said on the list, you won't regret switching to DSL...it
> rocks, and puts cable modems to shame.

Paul.

--
Wit is cultured insolence.  Aristotle