Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 1998 18:35:38 -0800
From:      Chris Toshok <toshok@netscape.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   user limits, login.conf, etc.

I've been using freebsd for my work (on the navigator) for some time,
and am having a problem with 2.2.5.

I've upped every conceivable limit that I run across, and I still get

gdb: virtual memory exhausted: can't allocate 4072 bytes.

when I try to debug netscape.  The gdb process never gets above 32 megs,
and the netscape executable doesn't grow to more than 16 megs.

The machine has way more than enough to handle this -- 128 megs
physical, and 400 megs of swap.

Here's my login.conf entry:

default:\
        :cputime=infinity:\
        :datasize=256M:\
        :stacksize=256M:\
        :memorylocked=256M:\
        :memoryuse=256M:\
        :filesize=infinity:\
        :coredumpsize=infinity:\
        :maxproc=infinity:\
        :openfiles=infinity:\
        :priority=0:\
        :requirehome@:\
        :umask=022:\
        :tc=auth-defaults:

The kernel was compiled with:

options         "MAXDSIZ=(512*1024*1024)"
options         "DFLDSIZ=(512*1024*1024)"

Anyone have a clue?  It's getting extremely frustrating debugging with
printfs.

Chris