Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:16:01 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: procmail setup troubles

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r

On 11/12/01 08:45 AM, Eric Cheney sat at the `puter and typed:
>=20
>=20
> Hi folks.  I can't get procmail to filter mail.  Here's the story.
> I'm migrating mail from a debian box to my FreeBSD box.  I simply stole=
=20
> the .fetchmailrc and .procmailrc files from the debian box and put them i=
n=20
> the home directory of the FreeBSD box.  Both of these files were fully=20
> functional with the debian box, so I think they are ok. =20
> Then I installed procmail using the ports collection...  Finally I made a=
=20
>  .forward file with the line "|exec /usr/local/bin/procmail || exit 75" .=
> I put this .forward file in my home directory.
>=20
> With this setup procmail just loses all incoming mail, and some mail=20
> is not even fetched because it says it cannot resolve the domain=20
> of the sender.
>=20
> What am I doing wrong?  Any ideas out there?=20
>=20

Keep in mind that  procmail is only a filter agent.  It will never see
incoming mail unless you hand it off  to procmail. This is done by the
MTA, or Mail Transfer Agent. Probably Sendmail.

Look for  a sendmail.mc file  on the debian  box. It probably  has the
method used to hand off to procmail.

Of  course, you  could just  edit your  /etc/mail/freebsd.mc file  and
check  out the  sendmail-cf files  in /usr/share/sendmail/cf/*.  Also,
make sure  you look at  /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README. It has  ALL the
info you could hope for, and probably  more than you can absorb in one
go.

HTH
Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc               leblanc@keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     =D4=BF=D4=AC

Coward, n.:
  One who in a perilous emergency thinks with his legs.

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r--