Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:16:28 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stolen BSD code found in Linux kernel

Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr> writes:

> [...]
>> These statistics aren't wildly inaccurate, just inaccurate.  There's
>> some information there. There's a relationship there.
>
> That does not "say it all."

Um, this was Terry-bait, not Rahul-bait.

> I'm willing to believe the statistics are totally accurate, in the
> sense that those particular machines do indeed have those particular
> uptimes.  The point is, it would be moronic to base any sort of
> decision on those statistics, given

Whether you consider it moronic or not does not make it moronic. =)

In other words, even though I might agree that it would not be a good
idea to base any decision on those statistics, I wouldn't call it
"moronic" in public unless I was trying for an effect.

The "says it all" is a similar sort of effect.  It brings out a
certain type of response, it is a litmus test for a certain
manner of interacting with the world.

Here's another: There is a significant amount of BSD on that list. The
list measures some uptimes of a set of operating systems. Of that set,
BSD clearly beats the rest of them, whatever they are.

> (c) the fact that the sysadmins involved apparently never upgrade their
>     software -- many of those machines seem to be running
>     antique versions of Apache with known security holes.  (Possibly
>     they've patched the holes without upgrading.  Then again, possibly
>     not.)

This is something I also noticed. I agree with you, and it could be a
potential hit list for script kiddies.

> There are lots of very good reasons to advocate BSD.  This uptime list
> isn't one.

Well, isn't that special. =) So. Mind relating what -you- think are
some good reasons then?

Negation with no replacement is...being like Terry. ;)
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

A king who feared wasps once decreed that they would be
abolished.

As it happened, they did him no harm. But he was eventually
stung to death by scorpions.