Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 16:47:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Dennis <jim@starshine.org>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jim@starshine.org, terry@lambert.org, igor@cs.ibank.ru, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Samba FS planned to implement?

> >	Are you saying that it allows the user in question more access
> >	than smbtar/smbclient?
>
> Yes, because both smbtar and smbclient require the user to authenticate
> on a per user instead of a per system basis.

	Okay.  (I hadn't used smbfs yet by the way).  I was under the
	(obviously mistaken) opinion that this was implemented as
	a userfs or like Matt Blaze's CryptFS or Caldera's Netware
	client implementation -- (where the authentication and
	visibility are on a per session or per user basis).

> The problem with the FS client is that SMB servers institute credentials
> (and therefore per-user protections) on a per connection basis.  When
> you have only one connection from a multiuser mahine to an SMB server,
> you rob the server of its ability to distinguish individual users from
> the user who instantiated the mount.
>
> Further protections rely on typical obscurity mechanisms to interpose
> a layer of protection to the mount point to enforce user access semantics;
> even if this is instituted (which is not an enforced access method),
> doing so on a per user basis requires a mount per user -- an unrealistic
> administrative burden.

	In essence the Unix host running smbfs must be "trusted"
	by the admin of the SMB server (i.e. a problem of transitive
	trust)

	This sounds like a design limitation rather than a "bug"
	per se.  It limits the use of smbfs to single user workstations
	or to a limited number of "trusted" users per host -- and
	requires that the *ix system be reasonably secure and
	restrictive in its configuration.

	There shouldn't be a problem with "public" shares (those that
	are freely accessible within the domain) assuming that
	*both* machines in question are secure (on a private or secure
	LAN, possibly behind a firewall).

	A question:

		If someone is running telnetd on their NT box
		and allows multiple users on a LAN to telnet into it
		for shell (4NT or COMMAND) access .... does the same
		problem exist?  Can that user see shares that the
		NT box has NET /USE'd?  Can the NT admin also
		limit the access to those (similar to 'root' limiting
		the permissions on the smbfs mount point)?

	Are you suggesting that this be implemented like CFS or
	userfs (I've used CFS but not userfs)?