Date:      Mon, 24 May 2004 00:07:34 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Third "RFC" on on pkg-data ideas for ports

[this is BCC'ed to -hackers and -arch just so everyone has a
       chance to see it, but I expect the bulk of the discussion
       should take place on the freebsd-ports mailing list]

Well, Darren and I have done more work on my "pkg-data" ideas,
but we're also getting closer to the time where Darren will be
busy with his own full-time job, at which point the progress on
this will be much slower.  So, I'd like to show some of what
we've been working on, make a third proposal, and see if this
one is interesting enough for us to pursue.  If not, then I'll
probably just update my web pages with my thoughts so far, and
then put this whole idea on a back-burner.

[and if you thought progress was slow before, imagine how slow
it will be when moved to a back-burner!]

In the last go-round, someone pointed out that it could be
helpful just to have a better idea of what the ports-collection
really *is*.  So we took some time to write a script which goes
through a ports collection and gathers some statistics what
files exist (on a per-port basis), and how much room they take
up.  I'll post some results of that script as a follow-up to
this message.  (that reply will only go to freebsd-ports...).
So, hopefully that information will be of some interest even
if we never do anything with the pkg-data ideas.

Someone else (whose name I also forget) said something which
focused my attention a bit more on patch-files per se, and how
they really aren't the same as the other files I'm trying to
collapse into pkg-data.

Also, I haven't gotten quite as far along with figuring out what
to do with pkg-descr files, so (in the interests of time), I think
I'll "leave those alone" for this proposal.  We've worked on some
other ideas too, but those aren't far enough along yet.  So I'll
just write them up as "future work" (when I update the web pages...).

The third proposal is basically:
     a) move most "standard" files into a new pkg-data
        file, as described in previous proposals, except
        for pkg-descr and "patch" files.
     b) create a new directory at the root directory of
        the ports collection.  That directory would be
        called "Patches", and inside would be a directory
        for each category.  Inside each Patches/category
        directory would be a single-file for each port
        in that category, where that single-file would
        have all the "ports-collection patches" for the
        matching port.
     c) [minor] in the pkg-data section for distinfo, I'd
        like to change the format for each file from, eg:
     MD5 (bash-2.05b.tar.gz) = 5238251b4926d778dfe162f6ce729733
     SIZE (bash-2.05b.tar.gz) = 1956216
     5238251b4926d778dfe162f6ce729733 1956216 bash-2.05b.tar.gz

So it collapses most standard files into the pkg-data file, and
collapses the patch-related files for a given port into files
such as: ports/Patches/shells/patches-bash2.  This will not
result in as dramatic a drop in inodes, but it has the nice
side-effect that Patches are separated from all the other files.
Thus, end-users could 'cvsup refuse' the patches for categories
that they do not care about, and it would not break operations
which work on the entire ports collection (such as `make index').

Our current transform script doesn't do part 'c' yet, but I
thought it would be interesting to note the result of 'b':

(63)  du -sk pd-new/ports pd-new/ports/Patches
190944  pd-new/ports
  28414  pd-new/ports/Patches
162530  == "ports without the Patches"

And to compare the present ports collection to a transformed
ports collection, the result would look like:

1K-blocks   Inodes
      Used     Used
    238742    79154    pd-orig/ports
    190944    49321    pd-new/ports