Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 13:19:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryan Ogawa at Work <bogawa@netvoyage.net>
To:        Ron Steele <rjs@asd.banctec.com>
Cc:        Zhu Rong <zhurong@ramune.bekkoame.or.jp>, dufault@hda.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q:HTTPd run on FreeBSD?

On Sat, 16 Mar 1996, Ron Steele wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Mar 1996, Zhu Rong wrote:

> > Can NCSA HTTPd run on FreeBSD on PC, or any other freeware HTTP server
> > run on
> > FreeBSD?
[...]

> I just installed the CERN server.  Works like a champ, but others have
> complained that it is slow.  Installation was a snap once I realized
> that all the config files they give you need to be merged into
> httpd.conf in the /usr/local/etc directory.  I am using this mainly
> as a proxy servers and the users seem pleased.

> Ron Steele

I have installed the other two major free http servers (Apache and
NCSA).  Both work well (although I think Apache works better with lots of
virtual web hosts).  NCSA is what we're running, because changing over
isn't wholly transparent (although it's almost that simple).

This is with NCSA 1.5a and Apache 1.0.3, btw. (the most recent versions,
AFAIK).

Bryan K. Ogawa
Questions or Problems with NetVoyage?  help@netvoyage.net
Check out the NetVoyage HelpWeb at..   <URL: http://www.netvoyage.net/~help/>;