Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 10:39:55 -0500 (GMT-6:00)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <syjef@mail.mdanderson.org>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lcc compiler vs gcc

* j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> writes:

> Is there any reason we might consider allowing different basic compiler
> types, or would this just be far too complicated?

> What about lcc?  Is it anywhere near useable for heavy-duty OS work?

lcc 3.x doesn't work on FBSD due to one type we have that wasn't
allowed when 3.x was written.  I have an (open?) pr about about
getting 4.1 to work that is about 1-2 years old now.  I can build it
but it dumps core when I try to use it.  Major plus to lcc is that it
is !GPL and it is ansi by default (IIRC).

--
Jonathan Fosburgh
Open Systems