Date:      19 Jul 2002 13:30:35 -0500
From:      Craig Boston <craig@meoqu.gank.org>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel config problem with 4.6-STABLE...  [solution]

On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 12:57, Gerhard Sittig wrote:

> Don't make the above buildworld/buildkernel sequence sound like
> a mere workaround.  It is the one and only supported way to to
> it, it is described in detail in UPDATING (which you are supposed
> to read should you upgrade from the source).  It is the official
> way to build a kernel.

Perhaps the handbook should stress this more (and not list the "old"
method first).

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

I know that's the section on building a custom kernel, not upgrading.
However many people -- including me before I knew better -- read that
one first and build a few kernels on RELEASE long before upgrading.
Then when it's time to cvsup they just stick with the method that they
know better.

Thoughts, comments?  Is there any reason _not_ to encourage buildkernel
for making standalone kernels?

Craig