Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 14:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/14744: tksetathome hangs sysinstall due to lack of emailaddress

The following reply was made to PR ports/14744; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To: Jay Krell <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: Re: ports/14744: tksetathome hangs sysinstall due to lack of
 emailaddress
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 17:33:43 -0500 (EST)

 Hi,

 > I just went into the Tk directory and selected everything, without
 > reading what stuff was. That should work, or at least error better --
 > it just hangs.

 You're complaining about the app right, or did the package install fail?
 If the pacakge install failed (which I don't get the impression it did)
 then let us know.  If not, then this can only be fixed by _you_ fixing
 your network setup or contacting the author of the application to let it
 run even wo/ a valid network setup.

 Note that this last case is ridiculous.  It's like complaining that your
 DNS isn't working when you haven't done any network setup.

 Tkseti depends on setiathome.  As you note, it's a distributed NETWORK
 application.  I don't see how you can expect a NETWORK application to work
 wo/ setting up your network.

 Again, this is not a problem w/ the package, but rather by you blindly
 selecting tons of packages and expecting them to work.

 Can we please close this PR _unless_ it's a problem w/ the package?

 Brett
 Dr. Brett Taylor         brett@peloton.runet.edu    *
 Dept of Chem and Physics			    *
 Curie 39A	(540) 831-6147                      *
 Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics		    *
 Walker 234	(540) 831-5410			    *