Date:      Sun, 7 May 2017 09:01:07 -0700
From:      jungle boogie <jungleboogie0@gmail.com>
To:        Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 11 stable vagrant images: page fault

On 05/07/2017 03:21 AM, Stefan Bethke wrote:

>> Am 07.05.2017 um 07:11 schrieb jungle boogie <jungleboogie0@gmail.com>:
>>
>> I'm using 11-stable Vagrant image from here:
>> https://atlas.hashicorp.com/freebsd/boxes/FreeBSD-11.0-STABLE
>> (tried 20th of April and 5th of April).
>>
>> Unfortunately, I can only get the VM to stay up for about 9 seconds, because it's in a constant reboot loop.
>>
>> This command will stop the reboot:
>> VBoxManage setextradata stable_default_1494131864056_36337 "VBoxInternal/PDM/HaltOnReset" 1
>>
>> And when doing so, I see this failure:
>> http://imgur.com/a/USHdB
>>
>> I can download 11-stable and 12-current vdh files and import those into virtualbox, resulting in those not crashing.
>> 11-stable is from the 20th of April.
>
> Out of curiosity, can you try: https://atlas.hashicorp.com/stblassitude/boxes/freebsd-11

Works!
$ uname -a; freebsd-version -ku
FreeBSD  11.0-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p9 #0: Tue Apr 11 08:48:40
UTC 2017
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
11.0-RELEASE-p9
11.0-RELEASE-p10

So something is broken with those very specific 11-stable virtual
machines. I went back to March and found one that works:
FreeBSD  11.0-STABLE FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE #0 r315416: Thu Mar 16 17:20:57
UTC 2017

Very interesting the official image has been 'revoked':
https://atlas.hashicorp.com/freebsd/boxes/FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE

> I was unhappy with the official images, so I’m building my own.  On my Mac, I can run my image (including the latest freebsd-update patches), without problems.
>
> The main difference in my image is that the freebsd-update patches are already rolled into the image, so there’s no reboot cycle with vagrant up.  I’m updating the image every couple of weeks.
> The packer config is at https://github.com/stblassitude/packer-freebsd

Thanks, I'll check that out. I think a little more than a year ago there
was a freeBSD journal article by Steve Willis or Brad Davis (I think!)
about vagrant and packer.

In addition to that article (if I still have it), do you have any
reading material about vagrant/packer and making own images?