Date:      Sat, 06 Sep 2003 17:20:39 -0700
From:      Sean McNeil <sean@mcneil.com>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   gnome 2.4

Gnomers,

I've had the opportunity to go through and do the marcusmerge bringing
my system up to Gnome 2.4 RC1.  While I see many improvements, there are
some things that I had difficulty with.  I was interested in other
feedback, but I am not on the mailing list.  I will look at the archives
to see how the discussion goes.

If there is a gnome discussion group this should be posted to, please
feel free to repost this message or send me the more appropriate place
and I will do so.

Things I am really going to miss:

1.  Being able to set up the window manager to raise a window when I
click on it.  I had this behavior before, but the key shortcuts don't
allow for mouse button events and there isn't a configure for Metacity
anymore that I saw.

2.  I now have to double-click on the email panel applet to start up
evolution :(  I liked only having to single click.

3.  A long time ago I use to be able to have my panel not stay on top
all the time.  I don't see this as an option anymore.

Things broken for me:

1.  When I drag-n-drop a directory into burn:// it doesn't show until I
do a refresh.

2.  I had a tough time with gdm.  It isn't compatible with the previous
version and I had to update the gdm.conf and copy a Default.sample file
to Default (IIRC).

3.  After logging in and out a few times I seem to have run out of
pseudo terminals.  New gnome-terminal windows wouldn't show a bash
prompt.  I also had several bash instances running even after logging
out.  When I log in I get 2 windows with 4 bash commands running as tabs
in each.  I wouldn't think this is excessive.

The things I like best so far:

1.  nautilus-cd-burner.  Nice and simple.  Great.

Cheers,
Sean