Date:      Thu, 6 Jul 2000 16:59:14 +0100
From:      simond@irrelevant.org
To:        Dwight Tuinstra <tuinstra@clarkson.edu>
Cc:        chad@DCFinc.com, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VIA chip set

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 11:49:14AM -0400, Dwight Tuinstra wrote:
> "Chad R. Larson" wrote:
> >
> > Anyone veto the FIC MoBo?
> >

> I can't comment on the SD11 motherboard, but I can
> tell you I've had trouble with the FIC PA-2013.  It
> generates hardware errors (10 and 11) when attempting
> to make world while using default (or even conservative)
> BIOS settings.  The power supply was from PC Power &
> Cooling, so no problem there.  The only way I could get
> through an entire buildworld was to turn off every
> go-fast option I could in the BIOS, including the L2
> cache.  I was able to get away with turning back on the
> RAM banking, but that was it.  Feh.  I won't be buying
> any more FICs if I can help it.
>
> On a second PA-2013 I bought, I can turn on a few more
> go-fast options, but it's still mighty conservative.

Sorry to disagree, but I have exactly the same motherboard and the only
problems I've had with it were windows related, mainly the bios detecting
a UDMA/66 drive on it's IDE channels which causes windows to hang on startup
and which was fixed by a bios update, and also I had random crashes under
windows when the mem speeds were set to turbo, I turned it down and even
Windows is now happy, no crashes from FreeBSD at all (apart from me not
being able to get 4.0-RELEASE to install on the ATA66 drive which was prob
due to the bios problem too.

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org