Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 1996 11:44:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Christopher J. Michaels" <cjm2@ACSU.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        "David F. Ottow" <dottow@vaconcepts.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PPP on Dynamic IP

On Thu, 26 Sep 1996, David F. Ottow wrote:

> (Yes, I've looked in the archives)
>
> Ok, here's my problem.
>
> I can't seem to get user PPP going with my ISP, which provides me a dynamic IP.
> First of all, I wasn't sure, but does the hostname I setup in /etc/sysconfig
> matter?  Obviously, I don't have one, since I have a dynamic IP.  Also, the
> line I have in my /etc/syconfig is:

[stuff deleted]

>         add 0 0
>
> What am I doing wrong?  I can dial into my isp and establish a connection,

Login manually and after being connected type: show ipcp
this will list 2 addresses, yours and the gateway... as far as i can tell
the gateway usually ends in a 255.

The problem is that your add statement needs to have the gateway lasted or
the connection doesn't know who to communicate with the outside world.

e.g. my add statement looks like this: add 0 0 128.205.222.255

of course you need to add the IP of _YOUR_ gateway.

 -Christopher Michaels                         Student Consultant:645-3542
* E-Mail:                                           cjm2@acsu.buffalo.edu *
* Homepage:                             http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~cjm2 *