Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 1997 07:33:29 -0800
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        cima@via-net.com.br, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Kernel

> cc: questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: Installation Kernel
> Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 01:30:33 -0800
> From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
>
> > I need to write a custom installation program for FreeBSD, mainly due to tran
> slation for
> > portuguese. Looking at the boot disk (boot.flp), it seems that the installati
> on program
> > is built into the initial kernel.
>
> Everything you need to know is actually in /usr/src/release/Makefile,
> and you will also need a *full* CVS repository online to do this.

Jordan keeps making the point that you will need a *full* CVS repository
online to do this, but it is not the case. A little examination of
/usr/src/release/Makefile will show that you don't need a full CVS
repository if you define RELEASENOUPDATE. You don't even have to make
world if you use "make rerelease" rather than "make release".

You do need a large free space (disk, possibly) for the destination
CHROOTDIR.

> > Where I can find the source for this kernel? Is there any copyright problem i
> n doing
> > this?
>
> No, no copyright problem at all.  Of course, the next installer will
> be far more customizable than this one, but if this is something you
> have to do right away, then I also understand.

There is no magic to any of this. Just look at /usr/src/release/Makefile.
I repeat, you do not need a full CVS repository to build a release.
(This as of 2.1.5, I haven't looked at this for 2.1.6 upward). Even
if it were the case that the release process were made more
complicated, note that nothing stops you from adding targets to
/usr/src/release/Makefile that make it do what you want.

Stick a little script in /usr/src/release that sets up the
environment the way you want it, does the appropriate make,
execute it, and you're there.

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good