Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 08:03:30 -0700
From:      pascal@netcom.com (Richard A Childers)
To:        mibst14+@pitt.edu, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re:  Installation of additional features

"Dear sirs,"

And ma'ams, dammit !!		/-:

"I installed freeBSD and have it running but need to add the manual pages,
 Xfree86 ect. There was a utility for installation that came up after
 installing the binary dist disks. How do I invoke that utility?"

The installation utility is actually a set of macros that have been imple-
-mented in the file /root/.profile, if I understand the FAQs I have read,
correctly.

The problem is that the file /root/.profile is overwritten with a "vanilla"
/root/.profile upon reboot, and the "installation" version is gone forever.

Installation FAQs recommend copying it to a backup location just before
rebooting, just after installation has succeeded.

However, it is also possible to work around this and do the installation of
the appropriate subsystem(s), manually.

(1)	copy the set of files ( manpages.aa -> manpages.xx, for example )
	and the associated cksums andshellscripts ( *.sh ) to /usr/tmp

(2)	grep for DESTDIR in the installation shellscripts and see that it
	is set to point to the correct destination ( /usr/share/man, in the
	case of the man pages ).

(3)	Run the installation shellscript ; "install.sh", if I recall right.

You may prefer to unpack the fileset in /usr/tmp and tar it into place your-
-self, if you understand how to use tar(1) to transfer file hierarchies ( I
suspect there may a good example in the man page for tar(1) :-).

( I could probably mail you my /root/.profile.backup or whatever I called it.
  If there is interest I can post the 2.0 version, or someone else can, with
  instructions for use. )

-- richard

        "That which does not kill me, makes me stronger." -- Nietzsche
                                     -=*=-
                   richard childers         pascal@netcom.com