Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 1998 01:14:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Vladik <reason@shadow.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Desktop

gummibear@we.mediaone.net writes:
 > At 04:23 PM 12/24/98 -0800, rick hamell wrote:
 > >
 > >> Lately, I have basically evaluating the X Windows system, and I just can't
 > >> figure out why it hasn't been made any easier for average users.  I can't
 > >> figure out why antialiased fonts (such as true type fonts) haven't been
 > >> made the standard.  I can't figure out why there hasn't been a solution to
 > >> the problem of not having a standardized Interface (or a few standardized
 > >> interfaces to choose from when developing applications or whatever - choice
 > >> isn't a bad thing).  I can't figure out why the standard X libraries and
 > >> widget set hasn't been given the 90's look and feel (ala qt libraries).
 > >
 > >	There is a possiblity of another Windowing system. BUT, something
 > >you're over looking is that there are several more Window Managers then
 > >you've tried. FVMN, Enlightenment, Afterstep. One of them may do what you
 > >want. Supposedly Enlightenment is pretty configurable.
 > >
 > >				Rick

I am new to FreeBSD, however I have been Linux for sometime,
specifically debian distribution.

Every time I install a package (a program or set of programs) it
automatically updates the configuration files for all currently
installed window managers.  And if a particular user does not
explicitly override the system wide config files for a particular
window manager -- he/she automatically sees the new things on
his/her menu.  So I never have to edit any .<YOUR WIN MANAGER>rc files.

I also assumed that it is the same way on FreeBsd -- but I guess not
(I did not install X yet).

Also when I install icewm or window  maker (thouse are the 2 I use),
they come prepackaged with bunch of Different configurations, so from
the menu I can choose various backgrounds/menu bar styles/etc without
even knowing anything about RC files.

The things that are still difficult with linux (at least for me)
are setting up Internet dial-up, Xemacs (to read the news groups and
mails)/Fonts for various programs.
  Basically I am trying to find programs/packages that allow
me to configure that stuff without knowing anything about the config
files, all GUI driven wizard, that set the whole system up.
I think a good packagin system together with programs like "dofile
generators" will do the job eventually.

Overall if FreeBSD does not have that type of packaging system --
it make sense to come up with it (or re-use Debian) because
people like me (and I guess the original poster) will find
it a lot easier to use.

Happy holidays,
Vladislav