Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 19:10:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, bakul@torrentnet.com, dchapes@ddm.on.ca, rminnich@Sarnoff.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Improvemnet of ln(1). (THE END OF IT!)

Wherein is enclosed a general notice to all who are considering
continuing this thread:

> A warning is issued on ``ln nonexist y''.  Think of '-s' as the
> "supress warning" flag.  ('s', as in 'supress').  Perhaps that will
> sooth your (misguided) sensibilities

You *must* be kidding me.  I applaud your efforts to restore our
tranquility, but have no intention of thinking of '-s' as "suppress
warning".

> and we can return to our regular -hackers fare.

In the enlightened interests of:

1. Better improving the operating system as a whole, and ln in
   particular,

2. Ending the hostility which has regrettably come into being in this
   thread (quite a bit of it my own fault, my apologies to the
   populace and MTAs at large)

3. Allowing myself and others to return to a pressing hack I have
   elsewhere instead of keeping up with this discussion, and

4. Keeping me from making the same blasted silly mistake that brought
   me into this mess to begin with,

I have submitted, as pr bin/7265, a patch to implement a -w flag which
will effect these warnings.  I have no intention of dealing with this
matter further unless somebody can show good cause (ie bugs or actual
breakage caused by this patch) as to why my patch is a Bad Thing.

Happy hacking,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan