Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2006 16:11:37 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        dick hoogendijk <dick@nagual.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: solaris

--------------enig8B8CED950BC21F48C89A4B2C

dick hoogendijk wrote:
> On 03 Sep Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
>=20
>> I am not sure about installing Solaris into an existing partition.
>=20
> I remember one of the FBSD's (a RC, but still) destroying my partition
> table. That's the reason I ask. I know that I don't have to use the mai=
> option (that's for the whole disk). But if there are no problems know o=
> with the sol installer, than I'm a little less worried. I have no space=
> backup my XP and FBSD disk parts (at the moment).

Back in the Solaris 8 days, the trick was to use fdisk to create a primar=
partition and mark it as type 'Linux Swap' after which Solaris would happ=
ily
recognise it as a location to install into.

Quite how it happened that Solaris uses the same partition type as Linux
swap is shrouded in the mists of time. =20

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       Flat 3
                                                      7 Priory Courtyard
                                                      Kent, CT11 9PW, UK