Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:19:09 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), software@kew.com
Subject:   Re: make release produces unbootable boot floppies, no boot loader, no /kernel

>    Hang on a second... I think you might be putting words in my
> mouth... I'm not saying that the nfs boot floppy is the One True
> Boot Floppy.  I see no reason why we can't have a netboot.flp and
> a dskboot.flp created.

The slicing that's being contemplated at the moment is actually
"install from CDROM" and "install from anywhere else".  The CDROM
support actually covers a reasonable amount of code (although there are
some angsty issues about ATAPI ZIP/LS120 disks still).

>    If you really want to make things easier for the beginner, why
> not provide a DOS boot program. Then you wouldn't even have to
> worry about boot floppies. Tell new folks to copy the boot program
> to the DOS partition and run it from DOS. Case closed. No boot
> floppy required. I can imagine half a dozen ways to make this work.

Please read everything that Robert Nordier has written about how it's
not possible to boot once DOS has started.  Or take it from me - we have
canned support for that mode of operation and we're not going back.

>    Unfortunately, I'm not a committer, and it really isn't a
> technical question... It's a political issue... FreeBSD seems to
> want 'The One True Floppy'...

Not really; and if you have diffs that let us split into a couple of
cleanly separated floppies with no missing cases then we would
enthusiastically leap onboard.  But "net/no-net" isn't enough of a
dividing line.  We're pretty much resigned to the death of "one true
floppy".  8(