Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 16:30:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Anders Andersson <anders@sanyusan.se>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (forw) Re: ndc(8)

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, Anders Andersson wrote:

> ----- Forwarded message from Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> -----
>
> Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 21:20:16 +0100
> From: Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
> To: Anders Andersson <anders@sanyusan.se>
> Cc: freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: ndc(8)
>
> On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 10:02:01AM +0200, Anders Andersson wrote:
> > I found that ndc(8) man page is a little wrong, for example
> >
> > 'stats     Causes named to dump its statistics to /var/tmp/named.stats'
> >
> > is not correct, since named.stats get dumped to /etc/namedb/named.stats.
> >
> > It should read:
> >
> > 'stats     Causes named to dump its statistics to /etc/namedb/named.stats'
> >
> > This also applies for /var/tmp/named_dump.db, that one goes also in
> > /etc/namedb.
>
> Guys, before we fix the manpage on this, could someone please follow
> this up with -hackers?  I was under the impression (but could be wrong)
> that programs weren't meant to do this sort of thing in /etc (or
> subdirectories of /etc) and that /var/ is the best place for them.
>
> As I say, I could be wrong, but it'd be nice to get confirmation from
> -hackers that this is the expected behaviour.

	You are correct, a read-only /etc/ is always part of the plan, and
/var is the proper place for this kind of info to be dumped.

	Also, before we invest a lot of time in this, people should be
aware that ndc is fundamentally different in BIND 8.2.x. This is not to
say that fixing this now is not a good thing, just that it's not worth a
whole LOT of time since things will be changing whenever the new BIND is
imported.

HTH,

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' 'She said you're too young a man
to have as many women you got.' I looked at my mother dear and didn't even

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"