Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:43:22 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to disallow logout

On 09/10/10 05:27, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> I have a directory that must not exist on logout and rm -rf is not
> sufficent to do it because the contents need to be processed by our
> version control system.   The real life scenario is our version
> control system stores the repo for a given project encrypted but for
> techinical reasons it needs to keep the checkouted files in plain text
> (they are all in the same dir) and I want to *NEVER* have the plain
> text checkouted files in my dir when I logout, *BUT* instead of just
> deleting it I need to check them in...  so how do I make my .logout so
> if the file exists it will not exit and give a error saying that dir
> is still there? (minor but unimportant side effect of the version
> control system is the dir will have a different name everytime it is
> made but always the same prefix)

Have you thought about what should happen if for example, the login
session is forcefully terminated by either of:

1) power outage of the server
2) power outage on the client
3) network problems (ssh or TCP connection drop)
4) administrative command (e.g. root executes "killall $shell")

?

I don't think there is a way to protect from all of those, so any effort
in protecting from only part of the problem looks useless.

On the other hand, if partial solutions satisfy your requirements, maybe
you can do something with
http://glebkurtsou.blogspot.com/search/label/pefs .