Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 16:06:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        bgz9167@dcro.dla.mil (Frank A. Herda)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, support@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: POP3 Server

> I need to get pop3 working on my freebsd system.
> I'm really desperate to get this up and running.
>
> The version from qualcomm just doesn't do it.
>
> Where can I get a POP3 server  that will work?

Did you read section 14.1.4 POP Servers in the handbook?

/etc/inetd.conf:

# example entry for the pop3 server
pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/popper       popper
#pop2 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/popper popper
#pop stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/popper popper

Get for instance /pub/FreeBSD/packages-current/All/qpop-2.1.4.3.tgz

pkg_add qpop-2.1.4.3.tgz

Edit /etc/inetd.conf

kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`