Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2003 00:10:37 -0400
From:      Constantine <cnst@rbcmail.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   atacontrol(8)

Hello,

I have a few questions about atacontrol.

First, why the option 'enclosure' does not seem to work?
<<
cnst# atacontrol enclosure 0 0
atacontrol: ioctl(ATAENCSTAT): Device not configured

Second, where do I have to indicate that my DVD-ROM supports UDMA66? I
assume that after saying "atacontrol mode 1 udma66 udma66", the settings
are going to be vanished the next reboot.

Third, why it does not want to set the DVD-ROM to UDMA66 (the device
supports it, as well as my 80-pin cable, and motherboard):
<<
cnst# atacontrol mode 1 udma66 udma66
Master = UDMA33
Slave  = ???
cnst# atacontrol info 1
Master: acd0 <AOPEN 16XDVD-ROM/AMH 20020328/R14> ATA/ATAPI rev 4
Slave:       no device present

The other question I have, is on how can I turn on the automatic
acoustic management?
<<
cnst# atacontrol cap 0 0
ATA channel 0, Master, device ad0:

ATA/ATAPI revision    5
device model          IC35L040AVER07-0
serial number         <<censored>>
firmware revision     ER4OA44A
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
lba supported         80418240 sectors
lba48 not supported
dma supported
overlap not supported

Feature                      Support  Enable    Value   Vendor
write cache                    yes      yes
read ahead                     yes      yes
dma queued                     yes      yes     31/1F
SMART                          yes      yes
microcode download             no       no
security                       yes      yes
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      yes      no      0/00
automatic acoustic management  yes      no      254/FE  128/80

Cheers,
Constantine.