Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 10:27:46 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net (David Kelly)
To:        Mick Petrick <100231.1602@compuserve.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux ?

At 1:23 PM 3/30/96, Mick Petrick wrote:
>I am looking to purchase either FreeBSD or Linux. Most of the people I
>know are using Linux, but I hear that FreeBSD may be better. I would like
>to decide on an operating system.
>
>I am looking to develop TCP/IP software.

Asking on a FreeBSD list is sure to produce positive recomendations for
FreeBSD. And here's another: If you are to develop TCP/IP software some of
your most important considerations should be stability and standards. *BSD
has always been the Un*x networking standard. Many industrial strengh books
are available for BSD networking while most all the Linux books I've seen
are the "lets capitalize on Linux popularity by publishing a book with
Linux in the title" type.

I have on order:
Internetworking with TCP/IP, Volume III (BSD): Client Server Programming
       Douglas E. Comer and David Stevens
       Prentice Hall, 1996, 2nd Edition
       Bookcode tcpip_v3bsd, pages 528, ISBN 0-13-260969-X
       Discount 23%, Bookpool Price $42.50, List Price $55.00

to complete my collection of Stevens networking books. Good stuff.
Bookpool can be found at <http://www.bookpool.com/>;

--
David Kelly N4HHE,   n4hhe@amsat.org,    dkelly@hiwaay.net
                - Thomas Edison