Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 1997 19:46:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, tlambert@primenet.com, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ufs slowness

> >o	Is this a ZBR disk?  If not, are you using FreeBSD's
> >	default settings, which pessimize geometry optimizations
> >	for these disks?
>
> Of course it's ZBR.  FreeBSD's default settings haven't done any
> significant geometry optimizations for several years.

Sorry; the IDE-ness didn't make that obvious.

[ ... ]

> >I'd say the *vast* majority of time spent is in directory operations,
> >rather than actual file data reading (ie: I think the hit from going
> >to indirect blocks in FFS is small).
>
> I agree.  Perhaps it's just ext2fs hanging on to directory blocks better.

Maybe.  I don't see how, though.

> >I'm also betting that you created the ext2fs by tarring up the
> >FFS and untarring it onto the ext2fs.  Do the same to recreate an
>
> I actually used `cp -pR' from ext2fs to ufs.

I think you'll find that this is the culprit.

You should do an "ls -fF" in a couple of equivalent directories and
see the ordering of directories vs. files for thiose directories which
contain both.  You should find that they aren't identical.

I think you are seeing a collision between "depth first" and "breadth
first" when you tar up the FFS directory.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.