Date:      Fri, 04 Nov 2011 23:23:13 +0200
From:      Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@gmail.com>
To:        Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
Cc:        Ivan Klymenko <fidaj@ukr.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble setting timezone for ukraine

On 11/04/11 22:15, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Ivan Klymenko <fidaj@ukr.net> writes:
>
>> §£ Fri, 04 Nov 2011 15:43:57 -0400
>> Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org> §á§Ú§ê§Ö§ä:

>>> I think that your government changed its mind about staying on
>>> standard time this year, but only did so at the last minute.  So you
>>> probably have an outdated timezone file.  That would lead the
>>> computer to be one hour late rather than two, but it's probably a
>>> change you need to make.  Also check the system's time in UTC to see
>>> whether the clock itself is off.
>> run tzsetup...
> He already did that, using sysinstall.  You can tell that he did it
> correctly because his date(1) output says "FET" which is the correct
> time zone for him.  His time zone file is, almost certainly, too old,
> and will remain so no matter how many times he reinstalls it.  I think
> the decision to change the rules was only made about two weeks ago, and
> the updated time zone file couldn't have been available until after
> that.  I believe the updated tzdata files were brought into the tree on
> October 25.

thank you all for replying to my email.

here's what i tried after reading your replies:

tzsetup /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Kiev
tzsetup -r

didn't help. i believe that sysinstall calls tzsetup as well, but i
thought i'd try Ivan's suggestion anyway.

here's the output of 'date' i get now:

Sat Nov 5 00:21:52 FET 2011

the actual current time is 10.21 pm.

any idea when an updated time zone file will become available?

thanks.

sasha