Date:      Sat, 30 Nov 1996 09:52:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
To:        sohel@southwind.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd Post Installation problem!!

Mohammad K Islam writes:
> Hello,
>
> I have successfully installed freebsd2.1.5 on my machine. But as i was
> running it for last few days i have noticed that the hard drive
> light(H.D.D Light) is always on whenever i am on the freebsd slice. I
> cant seem to figure out the reason for it.

Is just the light on, or is the disk also active?  If the disk is
active, there are ways to find out what's going on.  For example, use
iostat:

  $ iostat 5
        tty          fd0           wd0           sd0           sd1          cpu
   tin tout sps tps msps  sps tps msps  sps tps msps  sps tps msps  us ni sy in id
     0  424   0   0  0.0  242  15  7.0  379  39  0.0   37   5  0.0   8  0  8  4 79
     0  532   0   0  0.0  265  17  5.3  287  34  0.0    0   0  0.0   9  0  9  1 81
     0  468   0   0  0.0  265  22  7.4  242  35  0.0    0   0  0.0   7  0  7  1 86
     0  433   0   0  0.0  448  31  6.9  365  34  0.0    0   0  0.0   8  0  8  2 82
  ^C

The 5 is the number of seconds between the display lines.  You'll have
to stop the display when you've seen enough (4 is good for what you're
looking for).  In this example, you can see statistics for 4 disks:
fd0 (floppy, inactive), wd0 (IDE drive, quite active), sd0 (first
SCSI, also quite active), and sd1 (second SCSI disk, inactive).  The
man page doesn't tell you, but some of the values specified in the
first line are averages since the system was booted (like the activity
for sd1, which was quite active earlier on).

> I am sharing a 1.06 gig drive between win95 and freebsd. I have put
> the freebsd slice within the first 1024cylindres as instructed by
> the installtion companion book that came with the CD from Walnut
> creek CDROm. Last night when i was running freebsd my pc suddenly
> rebooted itself.

Sounds like a panic.  Take a look at page 83 of "The Complete FreeBSD"
for more details.

> After that i dont get the login prompt anymore but instead i get
> just a root(#) prompt.Also during bootup just after probing for
> devices.. it tells me to run fsck and then give me the # prompt.

Well, do what it says :-)  It looks as if something got badly screwed
up as a result of the panic, and even the standard file system checks
weren't happy with the result.  There's an example of what to do on
page 145:

  # fsck -y /dev/rwd0a
  # fsck -y /dev/rwd0e

You'll need to compare the device names with what you have in
/etc/fstab.

> I would really appreciate any enlightenment on this if possible. I
> really would like to get it solved and get freebsd up and running .

I'm more than a little concerned that this happened in the first
place.  Could it be that you used FIPS to reduce the size of an MS-DOS
partition?  If so, you could end up having the same problem again.

Greg