Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 05:46:54 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org (Brian Somers)
Cc:        itojun@itojun.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Infrared ? (a simple experiment for laptop owners...)

> > What i was wondering, though, is if we could implement some quick and
> > dirty hack in iijppp to make it work.
> [.....]
> > This should be relatively easy to implement. Opinions ?

> I'd tend to implement some sort of half-duplex protocol layer at the
> ``struct physical'' layer in the new ppp (MP branch).... some
> relatively simple ``I've got control 'till I hand it over to you''
> approach.
>
> It may even be useful to build something like that into the kernel
> - say as a line discipline.  I haven't searched the rfcs....

i think irda is more like a protocol (or perhaps a bus) than a line
discipline. In Windows at least, the driver offers you 'virtual'
COM and LPT ports running on the infrared bus.

If someone has the time not to write the code, but to suggest a good
way (from the architectural point of view) to add IrDA support,
that would be great.

in my case, i was looking for some simple hack, since i wouldn't have
much time to implement it.

	cheers
	luigi