Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 13:48:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        joek@mail.flyingcroc.net
Subject:   Re: WARNING: portupgrade considered harmful

In article <3E5FD22B.3040904@mail.flyingcroc.net>,
Joe Kelsey  <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net> wrote:

> Sorry, the last time I had a conversation about rtld-elf, I remember it
> being with you.  I apologize for my memory issues.  I also apologize to
> the list for naming John incorrectly.

No, your memory is fine.  It probably was me that you discussed it
with.  But I dropped maintainership of the dynamic linker quite some
time ago.  What I objected to was your putting words in my mouth.
The "correct" behavior of the dynamic linker is a whole lot more
complicated than you realize.  In my experience, if you make some
expedient change to accomodate one port, you end up breaking a dozen
others.  When I wrote the dynamic linker, I followed the standards
that existed at the time.  (Namely, SVR4 and Sun's de facto
standard.)  A lot has changed in the 5+ years since then.  Also,
much software is written for Linux, whose dynamic linker has gone
through a succession of quirks over time.  Should we try to track
the Linux hack of the week?  Maybe, maybe not.  It's a matter of
opinion.  When you are actually responsible for maintaining the
dynamic linker, you get very cautious about changing its basic
algorithms.  There are ports that rely on all sorts of quirks, and
they're not always compatible with each other.  I chose the path of
trying to stick to the standards, but that's not the only reasonable
approach.

John
--
  John Polstra