Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2003 11:02:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   information about locking requirements

Hi,

having red through the smp pages and papers and the smp mailing list
archive and seeing the current SMP state of the network interface drivers
does it make sense to do the following:

1. Gradually append to (some of) the section 9 man pages a new section
"locking requirements" (or something like this) that decribes, what
requirements with regard to locks a given interface has. In the recent
discussion about the M_ flags the was some arguing about "we need to teach
the programmer" and I think it would really help. For example, neither the
malloc(9) not the mbuf(9) page tells me anything about whether I'm allowed
or not to hold any locks while calling the interface and whether it uses
Giant or not. The only information if have found so far is at the end of
mutex(9) that lists copyout() and Co. Do you think this makes sense?
If yes, I would try to craft a couple of initial sentences for some of the
man pages.

2. I would like to gradually collect some of the assumptions that an
interface driver may make (with regard to locking) and some requirements
and put them somewhere (after getting comments on the net and smp lists).
This will probably help people later on so they don't have to read through
zillions of old mails. What is the best place to put such information to?
A man page? The SMP project page?

harti
--
harti brandt,