Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:02:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Ludovit Koren <lk@tempest.sk>
To:        keramida@ceid.upatras.gr
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: static routes

> On 2006-03-20 12:51, Ludovit Koren <lk@tempest.sk> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I realized on several different versions of FreeBSD including
> > 5.4-STABLE, when using static routes to specific subnets and the WAN
> > link goes down for unpredictable reasons, the server gets ICMP
> > redirect message and rearranges routes to use default router. Then all
> > the traffic is routed to the default router even the WAN link is again
> > up. Other unix like system (HP-UX, Linux) do not act the way,
> > i.e. they do not change static routes.
> >
> > Should not be ignored the ICMP redirect messages concerning static
> > routes?
>
> That depends on what you have configured the system to do.  You can set
> the net.inet.icmp.drop_redirect sysctl to 1 to drop them.

Maybe my question was misleading. The static route should be static,
i.e. it should never change that's why the name is static, I
feel. Generally, I think, the ICMP redirect should be enabled in the
stack.

I didn't read RFC about ICMP and about routing and I do not really
know if the FreeBSD implementation is correct one. I think your
proposal is a hack.

Another question seems to be: Should be the default router configured
so that it knows about all static routes and routers in the subnet and
therefore it can send ICMP redirects to 'static route' routers as
well?

Regards,

lk