Date:      Sat, 01 Apr 2000 16:16:07 -0500
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Kent Hauser <kent@lab1.tfd.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no audio with newpcm driver on TP600E

Kent Hauser wrote:

> I'm having problems with the newpcm driver. Basically, I can't
> get audio from the speakers. This while trying to play a cd.
> The output of mixer looks reasonable.

How recently has your kernel been built?  I've been running -current
for a long time, and my ESS 1868 ALWAYS worked until I built a kernel
on Mar 30.  It looks like the pcm driver was overhauled as of Mar 29
or 30.  Basically, my sound still works, but sound apps are acting
real flaky.  The sound is really flaky, and the sound chokes bad under
any CPU load.  I had to revert back to a kernel I built around
midnight Mar 28 before the changes to pcm were committed.

- Donn