Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 19:25:51 -0500
From:      "Paul Missman" <missmanp@adelphia.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Plea to core team

>From: Steve Friedrich <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
>
>I wonder if anyone subscribed to -questions besides me thinks that the
>3.0R shouldn't have been made generally available.  It is allowing
>total morons to destroy FreeBSD's reputation due to their incompetence.
> 3.0R SHOULD be only installed by people with a freakin clue.  Not
>total newbies

Well, it looked like the beta testers were about out of problem reports.
At that point, software is generally released to the public.  A ".0" suffix
should be sufficient warning, after all the jokes which have been made
about using any ".0" release of anything.

If this is really not ready for prime time, perhaps we need to layer the
web site better.  For the floppies, we could have buttons labeled :

Download public release - for the usual person.
Download beta release - expect extra problems.
and
Download alpha release - to boldly go where only the systems team has gone
before.

The question then would be whether we would get enough folks punching
the beta test button to get sufficient testing performed.  And, the problem
would still remain of when to transition software from beta to public
release.

There is no magic rule for any OS on going from beta to public.  Sometime
after the beta testers run out of critical bugs, you have to jump and pray.

Paul Missman