Date:      Tue, 23 May 2000 16:27:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Kirchner <dpk@nwserv.com>
To:        Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Port 722 ?

Hi,

An easy way to find out what an unknown port is:

First run 'netstat -aAn | grep LISTEN | grep \.portnum'. The -A flag will
display the address for the socket. You can then figure out which process
is using that address by running 'fstat | grep address':

dpk@web2:/home/dpk$ netstat -aAn | grep LISTEN | grep \.25
c6400180 tcp        0      0 *.25                  *.*   LISTEN
dpk@web2:/home/dpk$ fstat | grep c6400180
root     sendmail   94903    4* internet stream tcp c6400180

--
David Kirchner - dpk@nwserv.com
Northwest Web Services - http://www.nwserv.com/