Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 2004 17:33:11 -0500
From:      Adam K Kirchhoff <adamk@voicenet.com>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Laptop troubles...

Nate Lawson wrote:

> Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
>
>>> The -v is just to get more info from right before the hang.  Try
>>> doing things like sysctl -a, kldload linux, or whatever to see if
>>> you can isolate what's triggering this.
>>>

>> Woohoo...  It's /etc/rc.d/devd:
>> # ./cron start
>> Starting cron.
>> # ./devd start
>> Starting devd.
>> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1 -> C3
>> hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_state: 8 -> 8
>>
>> And then, immediately, the lockup.  Want me to try adding the
>> BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER option in the kernel and see if I can get a backtrace?
>

> Ok, this is helpful.  That's actually /etc/rc.d/power_profile
> switching based on input from devd as to the AC line state.  Try
> manually running the sysctls:
>
> sysctl hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest=C3

This one would appear to be the culprit.  When I tried it, it locked up
immediately.  I rebooted, tried the throttle_state one, waited a few
minutes, and all was fine.  Tried the cx_lowest one, and it locked up
again within a few seconds.

> sysctl hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_state=8
>
> ...waiting after each one for a minute to see if there's a hang.
> Getting a backtrace would help, yes.

Unfortunately, that's proving difficult.  Even with the "option
BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER" line in the kernel config, ctrl-alt-backspace isn't
dropping me to the debugger.

Adam