Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:51:56 -0000
From:      paul@originative.co.uk
To:        axl@iafrica.com
Cc:        brian@Awfulhak.org, tr49986@rcc.on.ca, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Heads up! /etc/rc.conf.site is dead.

I don't see why. The only thing that should update the defaults directory is
a system installation or 'make install'. Neither of which will be hampered
in any way by the files or directory being immutable. We install new kernels
without any problems.

> > > They're going into /usr/share/examples/ppp soon.
> > > [...]
> > > Besides, with all this activity, it'd be nice to get out of /etc
> > > altogether :-)
> >
> > Have another think about it. /etc/defaults does have its
> merits but it isn't
> > going to work well unless everyone buys into it.
>
> /etc/defaults is for default knobs that are turned on by
> default and may
> be overridden. Examples are knobs that are not turned on by
> default. Can
> you see why the ppp examples are not a candidate for "buy in"?

I don't really agree, defaults is not for knobs that are turned on by
default, for a start that assumes binary state which isn't the case.
/etc/defaults will have the defaults for *all* knobs. That would include
options that are disabled by default.

Specifically with regard to ppp, having it work the same way would require
changing ppp configuration code to parse a local file for overrides but
there's no reason why all configuration couldn't adopt the same general
principle of operation i.e. a defaults file that sets all configuration
knobs into a default state and then a local override file for local changes.

Paul.