Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2005 13:24:22 +0100
From:      Valery <valery@vslash.com>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HOWTO : Setting Up a mouse + wheel on a traditional ps/2 port in FBSD 5.3

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Hey Valery, a few things on this:
>
> This only works for mice that support the intellimouse protocol.
>
> Simplest way to find out if your mouse supports this is to kill
> the moused daemon, then issue the command:
>
> moused -p /dev/psm0 -t auto -d -f

All right, this explain a lot of mis-understand things i found
on the net (same parms working for one and not for others)

> You should NEVER set the protocol for the mouse in either Xfree86 or
> xorg to anything other than sysmouse, when using FreeBSD.  And, if
> your going to run X you should -always- run moused.

Ok, that's what i found. But, why X choose ps/2 when "Protocol"
is set to "Auto" ?
I'm afraid that informations about "Protocol" "sysmouse" are very
difficult to find. I did not on my side, not even on the net nor
on the FreeBSD or X documentations.

> Note - many wheel mice use a push on the wheel as a second button.

Thank

> I don't understand how your X server got:
>
>>  My X.log whith the 'sysmouse' protocol :
>>	(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>>	(**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
>
> when you had configured
>
>  	  Option		"ZAxisMapping" "X"
>
> If I knew I could probably tell you why rebooting worked.

Sorry, it was the previous version of my log file.
(always difficult to write a summary with a lot of pieces)
Perhaps a mobo pb., or a forgot of mine, no matter to worry about that.
I'm sometimes "Aemnesiac" too ... :o)

Many thanks Ted for your tips. i hope that the whole thing will be
interesting for others, sheding a light on this stuff.

Just a little thing - to be clean - i found after posting :
2. Parameters
  /etc/X11/xorg.conf :
     Section "InputDevice"
       # All parms according to previous posts and ...
       Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "Off"
     EndSection

Regards,

v/