Date:      Sun, 02 Sep 2001 21:13:37 -0500
From:      Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trying to play sound in -current

I recall reading the explanation somewhere on the KDE site on why artsd will hold a lock on the sound device, but as I recall the
lock is like for 30 or 60 seconds...  Reading the explanation I seem to recall thinking it was a lame hack solution to the problem
of dealing with multiple opens on older sound hardware that can't handle multiple opens.  I forget where this was but it was related
to artsd.

Julian Elischer wrote:

> "David W. Chapman Jr." wrote:
>
>>I get this a lot recently when I try to play anything
>>

>>>echo test > /dev/dsp0
>>>
>>/dev/dsp0: Device busy.
>>
>>even when it shouldn't be busy, after atbout 10 mins it usually
>>becomes not busy
>>

> sure your window manager isn't using it?
> (e.g. 'enlighten' does, as does kde in some configurations)
>

>>pcm0: <Creative CT5880-A> port 0xd000-0xd03f irq 5 at device 14.0 on pci0
>>--
>>David W. Chapman Jr.
>>dwcjr@inethouston.net   Raintree Network Services, Inc. <www.inethouston.net>
>>dwcjr@freebsd.org       FreeBSD Committer <www.FreeBSD.org>

     ET has one helluva sense of humor!
He's always anal-probing right-wing schizos!