Date:      Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:28:44 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        abram olson <dacia_icarus@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mass uninstall all ports?

on Jul 12 18:19, i got this from abram...
> I just updated from 4.3 release to 4.3 stable.  My
> entire system is built via ports.  I want to make some
> updates but I keep running into endless dependency
> chains.  I'm doing a
> make clean   in /usr/ports right now to see if that
> helps.

if you haven't updated your /usr/ports tree since you have installed
software from there, the you need to do...

# cd /usr/ports && make deinstall # inplace of 'clean'

> If it doesn't, is there a way to remove every package
> that isn't part of the base system at one go?  I'm
> happy to start over especially since I've got much
> better compiler optimizations now then when I first
> built this system ;-)

if you have updated your ports tree or added packages via pkg_add,
then you may try this...

# cd /var/db/pkg && pkg_delete -fd *

...to force (-f) removal & deletion of empty directories (-d). if you
are running 4.3*, then you should be able to use the wildcard.

--
 so, do you like word games or scrabble?
	 - parv